Saturday, May 28, 2011

Obedience when it does not make sense (part 2)


So I have been learning about obedience even when it doesn't make sense!
This post was triggered by what I was convicted of in part 1I decided to zoom out and take a look at events and things that happened in my life that showed that!This is one of them...


10 years ago

We lived in a house half the size of our current one.
That particular weekend it was PACKED!
My brother and sister in law lived with us
We hosted a new freshman and her father for few days until the dorm open.
Dear friends from NYC stayed with us for a wedding happening that weekend.
The “bride-to-be” also lived with us.

So that particular Friday was a very busy FRIDAY!
I was the wedding coordinator and I was 8 months pregnant.

That Friday morning I was running around campus with the new freshman and her Dad.
We had to get her “checked in” at the International student office.

I noticed a petite, tired-looking young girl with a huge suitcase in front of us.
She did her business. Then we did ours…
I walked out and saw her sat on the stair in front of the room
She looked lost, scared and confused.

So I asked if she needed help. She said she was given an address for a youth hostel but don't know how to get there... 
I wasn’t familiar with the address.
I called my dear hubby.
He said that is not a good area…
So I called the number…
No one answered…
Not a good feeling…

I said, let me drive you there…

Off we went.
The building did not look very safe…The area was scary…
I was not comfortable leaving a little 16 years old Japanese girl with very limited English there…

So now what do I do?
My brain started spinning…
Thinking of a billion of things that I still have to finish for the wedding…
I think you know by now that I am "last minute" "procrastinator" kind of girl !

And all the people that were already at my house…CAN NOT add more... We are already fighting for the bathroom .... And did I mentioned I usually is SUPER CRANKY when I am pregnant... Seriously I told my friends to stay away before I make enemies... Don't believe me? Ask my sister and brother in law! How ugly I can be when I am pregnant :-)(sorry guys!! :-) )

But God was saying “Take her home” So very clearly!!
So I did…
Didn’t make sense at a time…I did not have an empty bed…
I could have dropped her off at a better hotel somewhere as she requested…

Then I would still already done my part of "helping her"... Got her to a safe hotel was good enough...

But I decided to obey and took her home…

She stayed with us for few days…
Over the course of her 4 years stay here in the U.S she has gotten to know MANY Indonesian Christians.
She has blessed us beyond measure…

We visited her in 2008.
I could not be more humbled by the mature career woman she has become!
What a blessing it is to see her blossomed into such a beautiful young woman!

That was the ONLY time I ever took a stranger home.
Even though I am on campus almost everyday now... I do not scout for lost freshmen :-)...

I believe there are so many things we don’t understand in this life…
Why certain people crosses our path…

But it is NOT our job to understand the reason… As it is OUR JOB to OBEY….

Many of you reading this that knows and agree that Rina has blessed us beyond measure…

SO MANY friendships bloom between her and many of our Indonesian Christian friends…

Because we obeyed she was saved.

She was the young lady that hosted us in Japan on this post….

Lesson learnt and what I hope you to take away is to obey and listen very carefully to what God wants you to do throughout the day... to the people you encounter!!! He has a plan for you and for them!!!
OBEY that still whisper or loud voice in your heart when HE told you something... Even if it doesn't make sense at the time to other people... It is BETWEEN YOU AND GOD!!


Next event was when I said "Yes" to marry my dear hubby! Which totally DOES NOT make sense.. We NEVER dated... (just good friends in the ministry)... and when he asked, we had not seen each other for over 5 years!! (Perhaps I will share that "love" story someday :-)  )


I said "no" at first but so glad that GOD convinced me to say yes! LOVE THAT MAN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs © 2011 Flo… All rights reserved.