Thursday, April 7, 2011

Caught off guard by a 2nd grade research project...

I was sitting in my lab today thinking, “Nice weekend, finally I can relax a bit”. Then an email came from koko’s teacher. It was a reminder for a research report and a research poster due this coming Monday about a famous American….

I was stunt… thinking, “WHAT project??” since I did not know anything about it.

Here is the research web and rubric for this project...



YES! That is what is expected out of 2nd graders in this day and age…
I think I did not hear the word “research” until high school. Yes.... I am rather old...

Frantic, I emailed her back. She said the assignment was sent the Monday after spring break…

AHA!… That crazy week, when I frantically tried to finish MY research before my advisor left for sunny Florida on Wed… so I can present the following week in NY (which I just came back from last Saturday)


So, I was embarrassed… Actually, I was rather upset that my dear hubby and I did not know about this project. Apparently, koko just put the papers in his room instead of giving them to me…

Well, not really his fault… I usually check his folder daily when he came home from school...

Keep in mind his folder usually is filled with AT LEAST 5 sheets of paper... ranging from permission slip, math worksheets, reading reports, news, etc....

Though that week, it was me that neglected that routine as I was rather "too occupied" with my deadlines and my research...

I was mortified, playing “what does his teacher think of us? Ignorant parents?”

Then, I was even more mortified by the thought of “3 LOADS of homework and projects” by the time "titi" and "mei-mei" are in school…

For Koko," Wednesday-spelling test, occasionally math test, read 10 min everyday, sign the RAH journal...., read the book that came in the book pouch, fill in the book report sheet, practice math facts, sign permission slips,etc, etc, ... on and on... and on....)

Imagine that for 3 kids and all on different days....

Keep in mind, by that time I hope to be running for tenure (which can most likely be equally as demanding as now).

I felt bad… felt inadequate too …

I wonder, “How will my hubby and I manage the loads?”

Once I told myself that I don’t want to teach others and let my kids be educated by somebody else… (That’s why my kids are in my kindermusik classes). Will I be a hypocrite to my own words if I decided to hire a college student from 3- 6 pm daily so that my husband and I can come home from work… Simply enjoying dinner and family time without worries of home works and drilling for tests?

What do you do? Any advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs © 2011 Flo… All rights reserved.