Monday, May 16, 2011

Children choir and a baton

Hello...This post is a little bit overdue :-) Because after Easter was 2 of the busiest weeks ever.... Anyway.. This was taken during an awesome worship time at Living Hope Church

We have truly been blessed that God called us to go to this church.. we really needed it at that time...
The pastor has been used by God tremendously and delivered such great messages on Sundays. You can listen to the sermon here.

Oh HAPPY day indeed twas Easter morning!


For who the SON sets free is FREE indeed!


The Soaring Singers children choir were singing "It was a Good Day on a Bad Day"
They used paper plates for props...


I was looking for a baton for a while (years :-) )  But still can't make myself spend $3 for it and then $6 shipping :-) for a little stick :-)

So I used a skewer stick instead and no one notice :-) and it works well :-)


Anyway, just a little bit about teaching children choir... All KIDS are welcome to the choir.. even those who sing in a different tune :-) NO audition needed! All I need is a willing and committed heart! I grew up in a big church with a famous children choir. I made the cut into the choir by audition but my youngest sister didn't! I still remember how sad she was.

Then when I was a teenager,  I got chosen to do a solo part in one of their big production (I meant to say production)! Sadly, it is much more about performance and production than it is a ministry... Some of you may not agree with me (as many of you who might be reading this post were alumnies of that choir as well). But that was surely what I felt.

Anyway, I got chosen.. then the director changed. The former director had to go overseas... The one that took over was a very famous soprano singer in Indonesia back then... Though my dad often said ,"I don't understand why she can be that famous when people can not understand a word she sang :-)"

I was crashed! When you are a teenager that was painful! Especially since you had been practicing for months and ONLY 1-2 months away from the big day..

Don't know why in the world God made me teach children choir... My conducting teacher might be reading this as she is one of my fb friends :-).

A little disclaimer: I CAN NOT conduct properly!  I better let it out now before anyone pointed it out :-)  I am just being obedient to whatever God wants me to do and HE alone gives me the strength and ability to do it...

Anyway, I promised and said over and over again that the choir that God trusted me to lead WILL NEVER tear a child down! 

I give solo parts to whoever wants it and work with them.  Since when perfection is the standard of serving and worshiping the LORD?  Last time I check the standard was a "willing, sincere and worshiping heart"!

I make sure they know that anyone who got the solo part is NOT because they sing well!  It is because they are willing to commit! If I ever find them boast, I will take the solo part and give it away to someone else.

So that said, my choir NEVER sing like a perfectly groomed choir (I don't want them to)... Funny how in our old church a lady walked up to me once saying ," Aren't you glad you are not a perfectionist" (gee.... what ever that means)  I smiled and reply," YES! and I think variety of tune made the song even sounded more beautiful and THEY did a great job and I am so proud of them!" 

Come on doesn't it look cuter when one or two made an honest mistakes?

Many of you reading this have or will have your kids in the choir I led.  THANK you for allowing me to share my love for music with them!  They are so precious... I love each one of those kiddos..

Speaking of kiddos.. I would appreciate it if you would say a prayer for 2 girls in my choir... E & M just lost their grandpa... We have been praying with them during choir and my heart ache because I know they are really really sad! Especially the 8 year old E! I love these girls!!!

BTW... I still do expect them to strive to do everything in excellent!  As that is what GOD said.... But trying your best and striving for excellent does not always mean perfection :-)


1 comment:

  1. with the group of kids entrusted to you, bless your heart, Florence!


    kuya Sam and ate Emer

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs © 2011 Flo… All rights reserved.