Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dear Cousin: Bloom where you are planted

Dear Cousin,

You don’t know how much your recent message meant to me. It made me cry...Thank you!

All my life, I love to control, to take charge. I was ambitious and I made sure I get what I want.
Somehow, that was not what God wants for me. Of course not, HE loves me so much that HE wants me to depend on HIM instead of myself.

You remember what a big deal it was when I got to be an exchange student in 1992.
But I was quite disappointed when I found out that I went to a very small town in Minnesota.
Yet, it was one of the BEST years of my life. A Perfect host family and a perfect town for me.

I was ashamed when I went home without a degree in 1997.
People blamed that global Asian financial crisis in 1997.
The financial security carpet that was taken from under us.
I blamed ME!

Yet, my family grew from it, we learned so much from it.
The perceived “failed-homecoming” gave me the opportunity to teach.
It gave me the chance to be involved in a unique and interesting village ministry.
It allowed me to go to the Philippines not only to get my Bachelor degree...
         
              The Philippines taught me so much about mission.
              In The Philippines I met the TEW family.
              The family that my kids called grandma and grandpa.
              As their real grandparents live far away.

Now, I often want to move to Australia to be with my family.
I felt that I missed so much of being in the family's life.
Recently, I missed my baby sister’s wedding.

Often when house chores overwhelm me and memories of childhood friendships aches my heart...
I want to go home to Indonesia.
To the life that we grew up in... to have a maid and to be with my childhood friends…

But I believe that I should stay put until God tells me to move.
Actually, now that I am married, God has to convinced both Luki and I ...

I learn to be grateful.
To bloom where I planted.
It is not easy… NEVER easy…
I can’t do it by myself…
That’s why I said, my life is powered by God and love as Luki and I help each other.

Remember,

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Jeremiah 29:11

Lastly,

It’s so funny how you said,” I want to be you when I grow up”

When we were growing up, I WISHED to be you! I was envious of you.
Since we were the same age, we got compared a lot.
I was envious of your beauty! Seriously!
Everyone always say how pretty you are!
I was envious when my dad told me you got in to University of Indonesia!
How smart you are…

I was HAPPY for you but I wished to be you!

See how we as human look at things that do not matter to God at all!

So remember, bloom where you are planted! God is always there with you! He has the BEST plan for you. Better than our own plan! No matter how good we think our plan is... He sees the future!  We don't!

Image courtesy of a gypsy caravan

luv,

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs © 2011 Flo… All rights reserved.