Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Joplin Day 1

We left around 9 pm last night... 2 hours later than our original plan.. Basically because of me :-).
Well between preparing for my defense and me doing heavy paper for one of my class over the weekend... My house was a complete mess.  Plus I had not pack nor did the laundry...

So Luki and I did not get finish getting ready until 9 pm...

So we left Columbus around 9 pm... Drove all night.... and arrived around 11:00 am @ Joplin.

Of course we had to stop for ihop



Then we arrived at this awesome church! The people were so wonderful!

We will be staying at this church until Sunday.

So here is the entrance to the "men" area.... It's pretty much part of where the donation center was.



Those were air mattresses!  Of course my kiddos want to sleep with daddy!







Then ladies were told to stay upstair...





This wonderful man "Mr. Roe" a volunteer who has been staying for 3 months here cooked this Indian flat bread for our lunch..





and this delicious hamburger stew... 






This is Ms. Jill... She organized this donation center.  Our task for today is pretty much to organize all these stuff for their "shopping day on Thursday.  There are 400 FEMA trailers ready for people to move in this weekend so people are coming to get basic essential stuff such as cleaning supply, soap, detergents, etc....

These are their clothing section. We really need clean and new underwears for kids, women and adults also socks... white socks... they ran out :-(






The wonderful team! I am so TOUCHED by the generousity of various members of the fellowships ... Many can not come because this is the week before finals but they were able to raise about $800 dollar!

If you feel touched and would like to help.... You can donate to: Mount Hope church

or you can send me money via paypal.  My account is florencehardjono@yahoo.com

We will be here until Sunday. I would like to ask you to help.  They ran out of peanut butter, jelly, laundry detergent, dish soaps, no clothes for boys and girls 4-5 yrs old, no white socks, underwears, shower curtains, etc... Anything to make a "trailer" a home!

Bottom line people are still desperately need help here.  The lady in charge was crying when she told us that there was a lady last week who came and ask begging with tears for some kind of meat. Because she has been eating can foods for 3 months pretty much!... Broke my heart as well...

If you donate to my paypal, I will buy stuff with your money and send you the receipt or YOU can tell me what you want me to do with the money!
Please email me if you do so I know and I can go ahead and buy stuff for them before we leave on Sunday!

I am actually asking you to help :-)  If you can spare any amount right now... The desperation and devastation is beyond description even 3 months after the tornado hit.


We are so blessed today! Already we came because we would like to serve but all day we have been blessed and served by the people of Joplin!

I will try to post by the end of the day everyday of our trip here...

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs © 2011 Flo… All rights reserved.